View alphabetical listings of Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek attorneys practicing in Securities Litigation below:
Robert (“Robin”) M. Traylor Shareholder
Robert (“Robin”) M. Traylor is a shareholder of SCMV, in the Litigation Department. He has been with SCMV since 2000.
Robin has substantial experience representing, counseling and litigating on behalf of clients in various complex business and insurance disputes, in both federal and state courts, and in various arbitration and other dispute resolution forums. He is Co-Chair of the firm’s Insurance Law practice group, and has represented insurance carriers in insurance coverage matters involving property, casualty, professional liability, directors and officers, errors and omissions, and comprehensive general liability policies, and in matters ranging
Robin also has represented individual and corporate clients in litigation ranging from securities matters to partnership and breach‑of‑contract disputes. He has resolved multiple cases through mediation or informal discussions.
Robin also has substantial appellate experience, having represented clients in both commercial/business and insurance appeals in federal and state court.
Robin earned his law degree in 1998 from the University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, where he was named to the Order of the Coif.
He received an A.B. from Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs in 1989.
Robin grew up in San Diego, and attended The Bishop’s School.
Before joining SCMV, Robin had the privilege to serve as a law clerk for both the Hon. E. Grady Jolly, U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (1999-2000), and the Hon. Rudi M. Brewster, U.S. District Court, Southern District of California (1998-1999).
Before attending law school, Robin spent nearly six years on Capitol Hill, serving first as legislative director for Rep. Glenn M. Anderson and then subsequently Rep. Stephen Horn, both of whom represented the Long Beach, California area. His legislative experience focused on transportation/infrastructure, environmental (principally Clean Water and Superfund) and health care issues.
Representative insurance matters and cases:
- Represented insurers across insurance lines, involving coverages ranging from property to casualty to professional/financial/specialty lines to environmental to employment practices liability
- Represented insurer clients in disputes arising from a wide variety of subject matter, ranging from claims involving construction defects to products liability to long-tail environmental/toxic liability to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act to soot, water and even urine contamination
- Represented insurer clients in disputes over issues ranging from the existence and extent of the duty to defend, Cumis/Section 2860 demands, priority of coverage, related claims, allocation, reimbursement rights, exhaustion, various policy interpretation questions, and application of exclusions
- Represented national insurers in multiple cases involving policyholder “bad faith” claims
- Represented national insurer in multiple high-severity casualty claims, ranging from aviation accidents to wildfire disasters
- Represented national insurer in obtaining defense verdict against substantial business theft claim, and obtained bench trial verdict voiding policy for fraud in the application
- Represented national insurer in obtaining jury verdict against multi-million-dollar homeowner’ s breach-of-contract and bad-faith claim
- Represented insurers in intra-insurer disputes, involving contractual and equitable contribution and subrogation disputes
- Represented policy owners against insurer claims for rescission in E&O and life insurance policies
- Represented and counseled corporate clients regarding coverage opportunities and disputes
Representative business/commercial matters and cases:
- Represented national company in consumer class-action litigation
- Represented shareholders/directors/partners in corporate-control and ownership disputes
- Represented LLC member in dissolution action
- Represented multinational corporation in breach-of-contract action
- Represented company in recovery of significant unpaid receivables
- Represented corporate director and officer in defense against SEC action
- Represented shareholder in fraud action involving a publicly held company
- Represented high net-worth family in real estate development dispute
- Represented commercial landowners in lease disputes
Representative securities matters:
- Represented officers and directors in SEC enforcement actions
- Represented national brokerage firm and brokers/advisors against individual investor claims in multiple NASD/FINRA arbitration proceedings
- Represented investors in suitability and fraud cases against brokers, brokerage firms and banks
- Represented successor trustee to recover funds misappropriated from estate
- Represented corporate officer and director in shareholder derivative action
- Represented national broker-dealer in “soft money” claim
Representative appellate work:
- Obtained Ninth Circuit affirmance of summary judgment in company-contractor compensation dispute
- Obtained Ninth Circuit affirmance of grant of summary judgment on “bad faith” claim, and affirmance of jury verdict on breach-of-contract claim
- Obtained Ninth Circuit affirmance of grant of motion to dismiss claims involving application of coverage exclusion to personal and advertising injury claims
- Obtained Ninth Circuit affirmance of grant of motion to dismiss involving application of breach-of-contract exclusion against tort claims arising from contract dispute
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Cal Western School of Law, teaching in the STEPPS program (2011-present)
- Defense Research Institute
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Admitted to practice in the Ninth Circuit, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Central Districts of California
- Previous involvement with the San Diego Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter
- Home Start, Inc. (Board member, 2001-present; current Board President)
- Episcopal Community Services (Board member, 2010-present)
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon (volunteer)
- Princeton’s Associated Schools Committee (volunteer)
Professional Awards & Honors
- Named as a San Diego “Super Lawyer” General Litigation (2014-2017)