Christine M. LaPinta
Christine M. LaPinta is a shareholder with the firm. Her practice areas generally include defense of complex business litigation, construction defect, real property, consumer protection, employment and bankruptcy matters.
In 1999, while serving in the United States Air Force in Okinawa, Japan, Ms. LaPinta received her Bachelor of Science from the University of Maryland University College, Asian Division. Ms. LaPinta received her Juris Doctorate from California Western School of Law in 2003.
After serving as a Communications System Operator aboard the E-3 Sentry in the United States Air Force and before attending law school, Ms. LaPinta worked as a Case Manager for Big Brothers Big Sisters. While attending law school, Ms. LaPinta worked as a mediator in the Small Claims Division of the San Diego Superior Court. Ms. LaPinta also worked as an honors clerk with the Criminal Writs division of the California Attorney General’s Office and was given the opportunity to argue before the California Fourth District Court of Appeal.
- Successfully defended lawsuits asserted against multiple national retailers in cases arising out of the consumer protection laws, including the Federal and State Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Karnette Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- In 2011, obtained defense verdict after jury trial on Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Karnette Act and obtained award of all damages sought, including punitive damages on cross-complaint
- Represented design construction manager in multi-party construction defect litigation and related matters arising out of a nearly $200 million public works project
- Represented employee benefit plan of luxury hotel in ERISA litigation
- Represents local developers in various matters involving litigation over property and development rights, contract disputes, construction defect claims and insurance matters
- Represented public retirement system in a multitude of civil lawsuits arising out of pension under-funding crisis
- Represented international law firms and individual attorneys in defense of malicious prosecution claims
- Represents clients in all manner of contract disputes, from complex multi-party business disputes to simple commercial contract actions and arbitrations
- Represented both debtor and creditor clients in various Chapter 11 proceedings
- Represents employers in various types of employment litigation, including: discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation, harassment, and benefit proceedings and disputes
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern and Central Districts of California
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court of Northern District of Oklahoma
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Oklahoma
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego Chapter (Member of Leadership Development Committee 2011- present)
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh San Diego Chapter (Associate 2006-2007)