James A. Dooley is Senior Counsel with Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek whose practice is devoted exclusively to family law matters. Mr. Dooley is a Certified Specialist in Family Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. Mr. Dooley’s personal approach guides clients to rewarding and cost-effective solutions, but his experience in high-intensity family law litigation equips him with the skills necessary to prosecute matters that become contested.
Mr. Dooley received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas in 2001, graduating magna cum laude. He earned his Juris Doctor from Southwestern Law School in 2003, and was a Family Law Extern for The Honorable Judge Roy Paul of the Los Angeles Superior Court.
Before relocating to San Diego and joining Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek, Mr. Dooley was with the reputable Beverly Hills, California, family law litigation firm of Kolodny Law Group, and its predecessor Kolodny & Anteau, since 2006, serving high‑end clientele in high-impact cases. Mr. Dooley also served in the United States Navy between 1994 and 1999.
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- San Diego County Bar Association (Family Law Section)
- San Diego Family Law Bar Association
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Family Law Section Participant, 2010 Family Law Advocacy Training Program: How to Conduct A Custody Trial (March 2010)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Family Law Section Panelist, “Oh What a Tangled Web We Weave When First We Practice to Deceive [Feldman Seminar]” (November 2007)
Professional Awards & Honors
- Named as a “Rising Star” by the Super Lawyers Directory (2009-2011)
- Certificate of Tribute by the Harriet Buhai Center for Family Law (2009, 2010, 2013)