Jason R. Faas
Mr. Faas is a shareholder of the firm whose practice emphasizes taxation, business law, estate planning and trust administration.
Mr. Faas attended Brigham Young University where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting. He received his Juris Doctor at Chapman University and his LL.M. in Taxation at New York University.
- Represents clients in various business matters and transactions, including business formations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations and spin-offs, and liquidations.
- Provides a wide-range of federal, state and local tax advice to individuals, partnerships, corporations, and other business entities.
- Represents clients in real estate transactions, including sales, purchases, 1031 exchanges, financing, and debt workouts.
- Prepares various business contracts and advises clients regarding short and long-term business planning and strategies.
- Represents clients before federal, state and local tax authorities in audits, appeals and tax litigation.
- Advises clients regarding worker classification including federal and state tax aspects of independent contractor and employment relationships.
- Assists clients with property tax planning and controversies, including transfers to or from business entities, parent-child exclusion transfers, and transfers between spouses.
- Designs and structures simple and complex estate planning documents for clients (including wills, trusts, advance health care directives, asset management powers of attorney, etc.).
- Assists clients with succession planning for closely-held businesses and other personal and/or family assets, and provides estate, gift, and income tax advice regarding these types of assets.
- Advises clients regarding charitable giving and formations and operations of charitable trusts and nonprofit organizations.
- Represents individual, professional private fiduciary, and corporate trustees in trust administrations.
- Represents beneficiaries of estates and trusts.
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- State Bar of California (Taxation and Business Sections)
- San Diego County Bar Association
- United States Tax Court
- BYU Management Society, San Diego Chapter
- Boy Scouts of America, Unit Committee Chair
Mr. Faas lived in St. Petersburg, Russia for two years. He is proficient in Russian and enjoys golf and baseball.