Rebecca L. Van Loon
Ms. Van Loon is a shareholder with Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek. She is a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. Her practice emphasizes estate planning, trust and probate administration, and taxation.
Ms. Van Loon received her Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude from Gonzaga University in 2007. She earned her Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Willamette University College of Law in 2010 and her LL.M in Taxation, magna cum laude, from the University of San Diego School of Law in 2011. While in law school, Ms. Van Loon participated in the Trusts and Estates Legal Clinic and competed in the Jessup International moot court competition. While in college and law school, Ms. Van Loon also studied abroad in Spain, Italy, and Germany.
Prior to joining Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek, Ms. Van Loon was an associate at an estate and tax planning law firm in Carlsbad, California.
- Estate planning, including drafting wills, revocable trusts, advance health care directives, and financial powers of attorney
- Gift and estate tax planning, including drafting irrevocable trusts, life insurance trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, qualified subchapter S trusts, and electing small business trusts
- Charitable gift planning, including outright gifts, drafting charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, and testamentary private foundations
- Property tax planning, including parent-child exclusion transfers, spousal transfers, and transfers of real property to or from an entity
- Trust administration, including representing trustees during inter vivos trust administration and administration of a decedent’s revocable trust
- Estate administration and probate proceedings, including representing executors and administrators during administration
- Estate, gift, and generation skipping tax, including portability elections and estate and gift tax return preparation
- Representation of trustees, executors, administrators, fiduciaries, and beneficiaries, including preparation of settlement agreements and modifications or terminations of irrevocable trusts
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- Certified Specialist-Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization (2017)
- State Bar of California (Trusts & Estates Taxation Section)
- San Diego County Bar Association (Trusts & Estates Taxation Section)
- North County Bar Association
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Member, San Diego Blood Bank Financial Resource Development Committee (2012 - present)
- University of San Diego Alumni Association (2011 – present)
Professional Awards & Honors
- Top 40 Under 40 Award, SD Metro Magazine (2017)
- 2019 Super Lawyers Rising Star (Estate & Probate), Super Lawyers
- Rebecca Van Loon Named Among San Diego’s Top 40 Under 40
- 2019 San Diego Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Marianne Barth Earns Certified Specialist Designation in Family Law
- SCMV’s Certified Legal Specialists
- Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek Elects Two New Shareholders
- Rebecca Van Loon Named One of San Diego’s 40 Under 40
- Rebecca Van Loon Certified as Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law Specialist
- Portability Offers New Opportunities for Tax Savings in Estate Planning
Ms. Van Loon is an avid fan of the San Diego Symphony and enjoys running, golfing, traveling, and college basketball.