Daniel W. Abbott
Daniel W. Abbott is a shareholder of the firm, and leads the firm’s Trust and Estates Litigation Practice. His practice emphasizes complex trust and estate controversies and litigation, as well as general business and real property matters.
In his trust and estate litigation practice, Mr. Abbott litigates trust and estate controversies through trial and appeal, before the probate and general civil courts of California. His clients include corporate and professional fiduciaries, charitable organizations, private foundations, trustees, estate administrators, executors, trust beneficiaries, heirs, creditors of trusts and estates, debtors of trusts and estates, and other entities and individuals.
Mr. Abbott also counsels his trust and estate clients regarding non-litigation and pre-litigation matters, including trust and estate administration, commercial transactions concerning trust and estate assets, formal accountings, pre-litigation disputes, litigation avoidance techniques, and structuring of global trust and estate settlements.
In his real property and corporate practice, Mr. Abbott represents a wide variety of clients in all manner of business and real property matters, including purchase, sale, financing, and exchange of real estate and capital assets, as well as the structuring of joint ventures and other business associations.
Mr. Abbott received his B.A., cum laude, from the University of California, Berkeley in 1997. He earned his law degree from UC, Davis in 2001.
Mr. Abbott served as a judicial extern to Presiding Justice Arthur G. Scotland, California Court of Appeal, Third District. In 2000, Mr. Abbott was selected as an intern with the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, Office of the Prosecutor, Arusha, Tanzania.
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association (Real Property Law section, Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law section)
- La Jolla Probate
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- Member, City of San Diego Board of International Affairs
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Lecturer, “Estate Planning Pitfalls Leading to Litigation,” San Diego County Bar Association, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section, March 21, 2013
- Author, “Increase in trust, estates litigation creates demand for specialized attorneys and professional advisers,” San Diego Daily Transcript, December 19, 2012
- Co-Author, “Strategies for Representing Clients in Probate Court” (Thompson Reuters/Aspatore 2012, Inside the Minds series) Chapter 2, Contested Probate Court Proceedings: A Multidisciplinary Approach
- Lecturer, “Techniques to Consider in Avoiding Fiduciary Liability,” (2012)
- Author, “The United Nations and Intrastate Conflict: A Legislative History of Article 39 of the United Nations Charter,” 8 Univ. of Calif. Davis J. of Int’l L. and Policy 275, University of California at Davis Journal of International Law and Policy (Spring 2002)