Sarah M. Shekhter
Ms. Shekhter is an associate in the firm’s Litigation Department with a practice focusing primarily on general litigation matters.
Ms. Shekhter received her Bachelor of Arts degree in European History and Slavic Languages and Literature from Northwestern University. She earned her Juris Doctor from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. While in law school, Ms. Shekhter had the privilege to serve as a judicial extern to the Honorable Joyce L. Kennard (now retired) of the California Supreme Court. She also served as an editor for the Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly, in which she was published, and worked as a law clerk for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
Prior to joining SCMV, Ms. Shekhter worked as a public defender for seven years in both San Diego and Kern County where she represented indigent clients charged with criminal offenses ranging from misdemeanors to felonies punishable by life imprisonment. She tried over 40 cases to jury verdict, achieving acquittals in over 40%. She also has experience at the Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc.
- Defended three different clients charged with homicide facing potential life sentences in prison and successfully negotiated reduction to manslaughter charges with determinate prison sentences.
- Defended veteran facing numerous assault and weapons charges in self-defense case and obtained full acquittal of all charges.
- Successfully argued motion for judgment of acquittal pursuant to Penal Code section 1118.1 resulting in full acquittal of driving under the influence charges by judge before case was submitted to jury for deliberations.
- Represented business owners in contract and business disputes.
- Represented trustees and beneficiaries in will and trust contests and related probate litigation.
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- San Diego Family Law Bar Association
- San Diego High School Mock Trial Competition – Volunteer Coach for Lincoln High School
- Volunteer Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA), Voices for Children
- Lectured at California Public Defender’s Association Trial Skills Academy