Today’s cybercriminals target everyone. Large firms with vast IT professionals have suffered data breaches. Small firms with limited IT resources have been attacked and paid ransom. While full cybersecurity may never be achieved, companies can - and must - limit their potential risks.
Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek’s Cyber Planning and Response group assists businesses in planning and implementing cyber-related policies, in a privileged environment, to address the risks and exposure to both foreign and domestic criminal enterprises.
Planning & Prevention
Having a cybersecurity prevention and response plan is an important tool for all businesses. Even before systems are hacked and confidential data is compromised, businesses must be ready to respond in a proactive manner that will result in the least amount of downtime to operations and damage to business and reputation.
- Our team assists in managing possible cybersecurity incidents and responses.
- We also develop prevention policies and tactics to avoid possible system attacks.
- Vendors with whom businesses work can put systems at risk. If one vendor is a victim of a cyberattack, a business’ systems can also be infected. We work with clients to revise vendor requirements and contracts to ensure cyber safety is comprehensive.
If a business is a victim of a cyberattack, security breach, or cyber extortion, we work with the client to immediately mitigate the situation. Our team helps evaluate the extent of the attack and provides input on internal and external communications in the wake of the attack.
A cyberattack can lead to numerous legal obligations. Business owners must comply with local, state, and federal reporting and notification requirements.
- Our team represents businesses at every level of investigation and coordinates with law enforcement and federal, state, and administrative/regulatory agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and the Federal Trade Commission.
- If confidential information is compromised, we help comply with state and federal privacy laws that require a business to report and respond in case of such a data breach.
- Employee information is also at risk of being targeted during a cyberattack. Our Employment Law practice group assists with the multiple employment issues that arise from data collection and breaches.
- If a company is sued as a result of a cyberattack, our Litigation practice area defends it forcefully and effectively.
Our team assists in evaluating the right cyber insurance policy. With more than 40 different kinds of policies available, we evaluate specific needs and match companies with the best coverage available.