John H. Alspaugh
Mr. Alspaugh specializes in business transactions with an emphasis on commercial leasing, trademark and copyright matters, corporate and real estate matters, and insurance law. He is a shareholder of the firm and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He is also responsible for the acquisition of employee benefits for the firm.
As the leader of our intellectual property practice area, Mr. Alspaugh is particularly active in trademark matters. SCMV’s acquisition of The Trademark Group® has strengthened the firm’s domestic and international capabilities in that area.
Mr. Alspaugh received his B.A., with high honors, from Whittier College in 1980. He earned his law degree in 1983 from the University of California, Los Angeles, where he qualified for the Order of the Coif.
- Assists clients in a broad range of trademark and copyright matters, including:
- Evaluation and selection of trademarks
- Analysis of ownership issues
- Federal Registration
- Licensing, assignment, and sales transactions
- Resolution of disputes and infringement claims
- Represented the franchisor of a national restaurant chain in real estate and leasing transactions
- Works closely with business owners in several industries to assist in planning for and responding to the variety of business and legal issues which arise in connection with the ownership and operation of a business
- Represents buyers and sellers in routine and complex sales of businesses in many industries, including television broadcasting, hotel, resort, airline, construction, professional practice, and manufacturing, including the negotiation of consulting agreements and covenants not to compete
- Created master lease forms for several large multi-tenant office buildings
- Represents the owner of a chain of grocery stores in connection with leasing, acquisition, sale, and general operations matters
- Representation of restaurant owners in connection with leasing, operational, and employment issues
- Representation of buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of commercial office and retail buildings
- Representation of business owners in the evaluation of expansion strategies
- Representation of clients in connection with insurance issues, including risk management evaluation, insurance policy review, coverage issues, review of compliance with contractual insurance requirements, and review of tenant coverages as required by leases
- Representation of clients in connection with the development and distribution of home video products and television programming
- Representation of clients in connection with the formation of entities and the evaluation of rights and obligations of owners and officers
- 2017 Martindale Hubbell A-V Preeminent Rated Attorneys
- John Alspaugh Discusses Issa Libel Lawsuit on KUSI News
- SCMV Martindale Hubbell A-V Preeminent ® Rated Attorneys
- 10 things you should know about trademarks
- Four SCMV Attorneys named Best of the Bar
- EU pushes to change the way Americans say cheese
- Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek Acquires The Trademark Group
Mr. Alspaugh is married, and has sons attending the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Colorado at Boulder. He has lived in San Diego County since the 1960s.