Mr. Arias is an associate in the firm’s Litigation Department. He represents clients primarily in the areas of white collar criminal defense, cross-border litigation and business litigation.
Mr. Arias earned his Juris Doctor degree from California Western School of Law, where he was a member of the Pro Bono Honors Society, Moot Court Honors Board and finalist in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition in Washington D.C. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Security and Conflict Resolution from San Diego State University (SDSU). While at SDSU, Mr. Arias studied abroad at the European School of Economics in London and Rome, earning a Certificate in International Finance.
Prior to joining SCMV as an associate, Mr. Arias served as a law clerk for Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc. and as a certified legal intern for the San Diego County Public Defender Office. He also worked as a law clerk for the Florida Immigration Advocacy Center in Miami, Florida. In 2013 Mr. Arias joined the Litigation team at SCMV, first as a paralegal and then as a law clerk.
- Multinational corporation in tech industry as local counsel in False Claims Act/Qui Tam Action led to dismissal of charges
- Former employees in False Claims Act/Qui Tam Action by the government against multinational corporation in health care industry
- Employees in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation into conduct by a US company in Latin America
- Former director of major retailer in Mexico in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation
- Individual in defense of civil harassment action led to dismissal with prejudice
Served on legal team:
- Involved in high profile extradition from Mexico to the United States
- Defended business executive during federal trial against charges of criminal copyright infringement in the Northern District of California
- Defended foreign business executive indicted by U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California related to the “Fat Leonard” U.S. Navy bribery scandal
- Defended former shareholders in litigation involving a Mexican land corporation located in Jalisco, Mexico
- Defended local business against claims by Multi-national Corporation alleging violations of the Lanham Act
- Defended local businessman against allegations of violations under the Lacy Act
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- U.S.-Mexico Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Mr. Arias is fluent in spoken and written Spanish and has reviewed and analyzed Spanish-language legal documents in connection with his representation of clients.