Mr. Eaton is a shareholder of the firm in the Litigation Department and practices employment law.
Mr. Eaton received his B.S. from Georgetown University in 1984 and received his law degree, cum laude, from the Harvard Law School in 1989.
Prior to joining Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek, Mr. Eaton was with Proskauer Rose in Los Angeles from 1995 to 1998 and with Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich from 1989 to 1995. He was an Adjunct Professor of Law at Western State College of Law in 1993. He also has taught employment law at the University of California, San Diego, and both human resources law and business ethics at San Diego State University. From 1983 to 1986, Mr. Eaton served as an aide to Pennsylvania’s U.S. Senator Arlen Specter.
- Won appeal before the Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board on behalf of an integrator of computer systems, ultimately obtaining damages against the claimant in separate action brought against company for wrongful termination
- Represented national weight loss company on workers’ compensation actions
- Successfully represented a Hollywood film processing company division in labor union arbitrations
- Obtained dismissal of two separate wrongful termination actions against major regional hospital, winning award of attorneys’ fees in one such action
- Favorably settled wrongful termination cases for national automobile tune-up shop
- Favorably settled a double sexual harassment case against an apartment manager and developer
- Favorably settled a wrongful termination/fraud case against an entertainment company
- Favorably settled a wrongful termination case brought by a former head of a temporary services agency
- Assisted in trial of a wrongful constructive termination action brought by a former officer of a large insurance carrier
- Presented four sessions of interactive program on business ethics to more than 200 employees of local company
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
- State Bar of California
- The Earl B. Gilliam Bar Association (Past President)
- Equal Justice Committee of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California (Past Member)
- On-Air Legal Analyst for KNSD-TV News (1993-1995), Channel 6 TV News (2003-2011) and KPBS radio “These Days” (2006-2011)
- Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference (2001-2003)
- San Diego County Bar Legal Ethics Committee: Member (2002-2013); Chair (2004-2005)
- Ninth Circuit Courts and Community Committee (2013-2017)
- Harvard Law School Association (President-Elect) (2017)
- Chair, Ethics Advisory Board for the City of San Diego (1993-1994)
- City of San Diego Civil Service Commissioner, where he heard and decided numerous disputes involving discipline of members of the City’s 11,000 member workforce (1995-2005; President, 1999 and 2003)
- Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service Board of Visitors (2000-2007)
- University of California, San Diego Board of Overseers (2001-2010, and Chair, 2009)
- Named by San Diego Magazine as one of the “50 People to Watch” in 2009
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- An Ounce of Prevention: Drug Testing
- An Ounce of Prevention: Preventing Liability Under the FMLA
- Avoiding Frivolous Lawsuits
- California Supreme Court Says No to Noncompetes. Now What?
- In-House Counsel Checklist for Handling Electronically Stored Information
- ETHICS QUARTERLY
- Volume 10, No. 4
- Volume 10, No. 3
- Volume 10, No. 2
- Volume 10, No. 1
- Volume 9, No. 4
- Volume 9, No. 3
- Volume 9, No. 2
- Volume 9, No. 1
- CUMULATIVE INDEX
- Top 10 Legal Ethics Rulings of 2013
- Top 10 Legal Ethics Rulings of 2012
Professional Awards & Honors
- Listed in “50 People to Watch in 2009,” San Diego Magazine (January 2009)
- Recognized in San Diego Super Lawyers magazine for employment defense (2007-2009)
- The Law at Work: Pot and the California Employer Post-Prop. 64
- The Law at Work 2017
- The Law at Work: What to watch as the Google memo writer’s lawsuit unfolds
- The Law at Work: Is terminating a severely overweight employee disability discrimination?
- Dan Eaton published in the LA Times
- The Law at Work: Pilot-employee returning from service entitled to bigger bonus from Federal Express
- Dan Eaton: Can better policies prevent workplace sexual assault?
- The Law at Work: Holiday Party Rules for Managers
- The Law at Work: New law to ban inquires into salary history
- The Law at Work: What do employers need to know about the ‘ban the box’ law
- The Law at Work: Distinguishing between employees and independent contractors
- The Law at Work: Is firing an in-law marital discrimination?
- The Law at Work: What does the law require of you? Accommodating employees’ religious practices and beliefs
- The Law at Work: When Accommodating One Employee’s Disability Triggers Another Employee’s Disability
- SCMV Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers List
- Gig Economy Creates Legal Puzzles for the Courts
- The Law at Work: May an Employer Delay the Start of Paid Vacation Benefit?
- The Law at Work: What is a work uniform and why does it matter?
- The Law at Work: Expense check: Answer these 3 questions to determine whether to reimburse an employee’s claimed work expense
- The Law at Work: Employers are entitled to their employees’ loyalty – to a point
- Dan Eaton speaks on ethical issues at State Bar Conference
- Dan Eaton to Serve as President of Harvard Law School Association
- The Law at Work: Endless summer: Rewards and risks of unlimited vacation policies
- The Law at Work: Shifting Reasons for Dismissing Employees Can Cause Employer Legal Headaches
- The Law at Work: Could a Progressive Discipline Policy Undermine an Employer’s Right to Fire at Will?
- Proposed Rules of Professional Conduct
- The Law at Work: Court says employer can refuse to allow an employee to withdraw a voluntary resignation
- SCMV 2017 California Super Lawyers
- The Law at Work: What to say – and not to say – about an employee’s termination
- 2017 Martindale Hubbell A-V Preeminent Rated Attorneys
- The Law at Work: When employer secrets aren’t really secret
- Dan Eaton Quoted in The Christian Science Monitor
- The Law at Work: Don’t Go There on Job Applications
- Dan Eaton’s “The Law At Work” Columns Continue into 2017
- 2016 Law at Work Columns
- Dan Eaton Discusses New CA Laws on KPBS Radio
- The Law at Work
- The Law at Work: What Do Employers Owe Returning Service Members?
- The Law at Work: The Ins and Outs of Paid Vacation Time
- The Law at Work: Halloween Can Be Scary for Employers
- Dan Eaton: The San Diego Union Tribune’s New Columnist
- New York Attorney General Will Likely Lose His Bet on Fantasy Sports
- Adapting to shifting workplace
- Deflategate appeal: Tom Brady loses no matter what
- State Bar launches survey of client bank accounts
- Deflategate: What did Tom Brady know?
- Deflategate: Brady appeal won’t be easy
- Four SCMV Attorneys named Best of the Bar
- High Court Looks at Cellphone Searches
- What OT hike could mean in California
- Social Media and the Changing Workplace